On Thursday, Charlie and I took a trip to the taxidermist. I can't say I've ever done that before...and I'm not sure if I ever will again. For that reason, this little event should be documented right?
We actually went because Max's deer pelt was ready to pick up It only took 4 months for them to prepare it. I really have no idea what goes in to taxidermy so I'm not sure if that's a great time frame. Anyway, we get to this busy part of SE Portland and go into this somewhat suspicious looking building called Artistic Taxidermy. We walked in to the store only to be stared at by hundreds of large game animals. It was a little intimidating and Charlie loved it. He was most excited about the real, alive dog which was super friendly. We picked up our new deer pelt blanket, then looked a little longer at the many animals mounted on the walls and crowding the store.We then went on our way. Just for the record, when I was a kid I was absolutely terrified of those trophy deer heads that people had on their walls. I thought they would come alive. Maybe Charlie isn't afraid because he lived in uncle Jay's house for a year where there are huge, award winning, deer heads and antlers all over the walls.I was a little startled when we got the animal pelt because of how much it still looked like the animal. I was kind of thinking it would be a rectangle and the tail would be gone. Anyway, here it is, Rocko's warm soft skin!
As weird as it is, it really keeps you warm.
And that is my mildly exciting taxidermy story!
Well who could resist a post titled "Taxidermy"?!
ReplyDeleteBrent got his too and I am at a loss of where to put it in the house. He is very particular about what he wants done with it...
ReplyDeleteUgh...crazy skins. At least I didn't have to go pick it up.